Posture when working long hours of coding using a laptop


Proper posture is important specially when working in a laptop. Prolong improper posture can lead to several body pain including lower back, upper back, neck, wrist and it gets worst the longer you do it.

It's good to have an ergonomic laptop stand when you're working with a laptop so you don't arch your back while looking into the laptop screen.

I strongly suggest you get a monitor that is compatible with your laptop and set it up on your desk elevated comfortably to your eye level. That way you can sit properly with your back straight and correct posture while working for more than 6-hours a day on a desk.

Again, another concern - prolonged sitting and the related health issues.

I've read a lot of articles about the effects of prolonged sitting it is also a concern to be addressed. Yes you might have addressed your ergonomic posture when working on your laptop while sitting but it's also good to address the underlying health related issues of prolonged sitting.

Try to give your sitting position a break, like 5-minutes every 30-minutes. So basically you stand-up and stretch your arms and back after working straight for 25-minutes. In the 5-minutes break you can stand, walk towards the water dispenser and get a cup of water and drink. That really helps and keeps you hydrated :)

There is a technique I've been following for some time now and it's called "pomodoro technique". You can also increate your productivity by prioritizing the tasks you need to finish in a day and focus on a task for 25-minutes, take a 5-minute break. I'll create a separate blog post about the technique I have adopted.

Now, back to the proper posture when working on your laptop - consider elevating your laptop using available box or hard bound books you have in your shelf. That would work but sometimes you need an accessory that does the job better. I found a good product way back years ago when they started in Kickstarter but I wasn't able to pledge, maybe due to hesitation or I wasn't sure if I needed it - but now I do and I bought one!

The product is quality! Designed and made in the USA. I'll post some pics below. Honestly it's one good investment considering I will be using it everyday while working.

Kuddos to the designer and creator of TheRoost.


Comments