STAINGATE, 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13"

Do you own a Early-2015 Retina MacBook Pro 13-inch?

Worst case scenario, this is not my case.

If you do, then I'm sure you've heard or familiar with the term "staingate". If not, then here's a reference site (staingate.org) to read about it. "Staingate" is a term used to associate an issue with specific models of MacBook Pro and sad to say I am seeing this kind of pattern that seems to a scratch-like on my machine. When you try to clean it off with a micro-fiber cloth it doesn't goes away but instead gets bigger as time goes by.

The first time I noticed it, it was just small dot at first, maybe about 7-8 months of normal usage - I seldom carry my MacBook Pro as I just work at home. I didn't mind too much because it normally happens, scratches. I didn't want to be fussy about it, and besides it doesn't interfere with my work while I'm on the machine -- at that time.

After year and a half, the scratches created a pattern-like from the chicklet keyboard's rounded corners so I used the original white thin cloth like keyboard cover to prevent it from scratching further. And even so, I still notice new small scratches from the sides where the keyboard does not touch and that kept me wondering if my machine is having the same screen issues other users had experienced, staingate.

This month (Nov.2017) marks the 2nd year since I bought this machine, I never had any other issue so far. I owned a 15" MacBook Pro 2008 model before and what I missed about that machine is the "matte" finish of the screen. It doesn't need anti-reflective coating, which seems to be still being too reflective when I'm working with a dark images or background on my screen.

This is the image I took from a camera phone, sorry if the image is blurred hopefully you can see the keyboard chicklet keys pattern.


You can compare my photo on the above photo, this is still way better than his case. But as OC as I am, it does break your heart (not to mention your pocket) when you're cleaning your machine and seeing this small dots that eventually gets bigger the longer you use your machine.

I researched and read from the forums and they kept saying that Apple recognizes this issue and I have read people brought their machines to Apple Certified Service Centers and have the screen replaced NO COST at all. Again what runs in my mind is that, hey this is the Philippines and not everybody cares after sales. Once sale is done, you're on your own --- unless you have a deep pocket then they can help you at a cost and sometimes an arm and leg.

It doesn't hurt to try, so here's what I did. I went to Apple Support Website -> clicked Mac -> Hardware Issues -> Talk to Apple Support. Keep your machine's serial number ready and your english accent because in a few minutes after submitting the request you'll receive a call from a customer representative from Apple Singapore and they'll create a support ticket with your reported issue. Just tell them you're experiencing the popular "staingate" issue for affected models of MacBook Pros - they can see it based on the machine's serial number you have entered. They will not deny it as it is famous screen issue where the Anti-Reflective Coating is chipping off from the glass of the screen. 

Next thing is you'll receive an email with the Case ID. They will also give you the nearest Apple Certified Service Center and its contact number. In my case, I bought my machine at a Power Mac Center (Abreeza Mall) here in Davao City, Philippines. Luckily just a few meters away from their store is their Apple Certified Service Center. I brought it there and whalla - to my surprise! They are very much aware of the issue and no other question asked, well there's only one - will you leave the machine now? 

They will even mention that Apple recalls specific MacBook Pro models for screen replacement even though you can't read it in any of Apple's website. They are very professional, so be nice.

This machine is my bread and butter, it's my workhorse and I am not prepared to leave it there at that moment. So what she did was to create a Service Assessment Report based on my screen issues signed it off and told her that I'll be back 1st week of December. Hopefully work load is not that much because screen replacement will take about 2-3 weeks considering the holidays in December. She even mention to give high priority as I mentioned I use this for work and I badly needed this machine. I even asked her if they have a machine for loan while mine is in their hands, sadly they don't.





You should visit them if you have the same machine I have. The program has been extended for about 4-years since the date of purchase.

Hopefully that will resolve the screen issue and will not recur in the future.



UPDATE | 2018.01.14:

The screen replacement took about 2-weeks (considering it was holiday season of December). No fees at all, though my repair includes a top-case change due to some battery issue (started to bloat) so I did have some payments made to get it back. After two-years of use, my Retina MacBook Pro is like "new" again. :)

Battery Cycle count as of date is 9.


Comments

Popular Posts

Posture when working long hours of coding using a laptop